Name Change of a Minor

Name Change of a Minor in Texas

To change the name of a minor, you must file a case in the county where the child lives.

To file, you must be the child's:

  • Parent,
  • Managing conservator, or
  • Legal guardian.

A person seeking to get a name change for a minor should determine whether the child qualifies. If the child has a felony conviction or is required to register as a sex offender, the court most likely will not grant the name change. However, exceptions exist, and you can speak with an attorney to determine whether any apply to the child's situation.

Process for Changing a Minor's Name

The steps for getting a child's name changed include the following:

  • First, a Petition for Name Change of a Minor will be filed with the court. If the child is 10 years of age or older, an exhibit will need to be attached, including their written consent and request for the name change. If the child is over the age of 10 and not on board with the name change, the court may not grant it.
  • After the petition is filed, the other parent, managing conservator, or guardian of the child will need to be served with citation. The parent or person will need to be notified even if they are not on the birth certificate. To avoid the cost of providing notice, the other parent may join as a petitioner, or they may sign a sworn waiver of citation, confirming that they have received a copy of the filed petition and providing their mailing address.
  • After all required parties have been notified, a hearing is scheduled with the court. At the hearing, an Order Granting Name Change of the Minor is presented to the Judge. The Judge will also hear testimony concerning the reason for the name change request and confirming that the change is in the best interest of the child and the public. If the party receiving notice is against the name change, they may also present evidence as to why the court should deny it. If the Judge decides that the name change should be granted, they will sign off on the proposed order.

Updating Appropriate Agencies and Documents

After the hearing, if the change is approved, you will want to get certified copies of the signed order from the court records. Different departments will require this certified copy as proof and authorization to change the child's name in their records.

Below is a short list of organizations and documents that need to be updated with the child's changed name:

  • Driver License/Government I.D.
  • Social Security Department
  • Passport
  • Bank Accounts/Financial Institutions
  • Health Providers & Insurance
  • School

If you need legal help with getting your child's name changed, reach out to G.J. Chavez & Associates, P.C. Our Planolawyers are here to provide the guidance you need.

Contact us at (972) 460-9300 today.