Adult Name Change

Adult Name Change in Texas

Whatever the reason may be to change your name, the good news is that Texas has a straightforward process to get that done. Typically, unless you were recently married, a court order will be required to change your name.

Do I Qualify for a Name Change in Texas?

A person seeking to get a name change should first be aware of whether they qualify. A name change might not be granted if you have a felony conviction or if you are required to register as a sex offender. There are a few exceptions to these scenarios, so it might be a good idea to speak with a lawyer before proceeding. Additionally, a court will want to know whether you are currently facing bankruptcy, as they will not grant a name change to avoid creditors.

What Are the Steps for Changing My Name?

Once someone has determined that they qualify for a name change, the next step is to get it done!

Below is an overview of the process you must go through for your name change:

  • First, if you are over 18 years of age, you will file a Petition for Name Change with the court.
  • Once the petition is filed, you will get fingerprinted and send the fingerprints to the Texas Department of Public Safety for a background check. The background check can take 3 to 6 weeks.
  • If there are no issues with the fingerprints, after the background check is complete, the results will be sent directly to the court and filed with your case.
  • Next, a hearing is scheduled with the court. At the hearing, an Order Granting Name Change is presented to the Judge along with testimony as to the reason for the name change and proof that it is in the public interest. The Judge will then decide whether the name change should be granted. If they agree, they will sign off on the proposed order.

What Organizations Need to Be Notified of My Name Change?

So you have a signed order. Now what? After the judge grants the name change, you will want to get certified copies of the signed order from the court records. When you have the certified copies, you are all set to take them to different organizations and have your name changed in their records.

Below is a brief (i.e., not complete) list of things and organizations that will need to be alerted of your name change:

  • Driver License
  • Social Security Department
  • Passport
  • Voter Registration
  • Estate Planning Documents
  • Retirement Accounts
  • Bank Accounts/Financial Institutions
  • Credit Cards
  • Bills & Utilities
  • Health Providers & Insurance

If you are looking to get a name change or have questions regarding the process in Richardson, TX, our attorneys are happy to assist.

ContactG.J. Chavez & Associates, P.C. at (972) 460-9300.